In 1992, the Utah Legislature passed the Utah Horse Racing Act that established a regulatory process for monitoring the horse racing industry. A five-member commission is appointed by the Governor and approved by the Senate that oversees the process and makes periodic changes based on needs or industry input.
UDAF administers the Act because of its importance to the market value of Utah horses. Commission sanctioned tracks and races are important in establishing recognized times for Utah quarter horses. During the past year, nearly half of the horses running on sanctioned tracks received Rating of Merit (ROM), an index that helps establish horse values and stud fees. Without Utah’s regulatory system and commission to oversee the State’s Quarter Horse races, the races and associated times would not be recognized by national and international groups. This would result in the loss of millions of dollars of value to our horse industry.
LATEST INFORMATION – Medications, Doping Violations, Penalties
- 2020 Controlled Therapeutic Medication Schedule
- Working Matrix Doping Violations_03252019
- Recommended Penalties By Substance
- Latest Annex For Penalties Grid_04272020
2023-2024 HORSE RACING LICENSE APPLICATION(s)
- ONLINE Horse Racing Application
- Horse Racing Application – SPANISH – PDF
- Horse Racing Application – ENGLISH – PDF